Mark DeGarmo Dance is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1987 as Dynamic Forms, Inc. We have produced over 100 dances and 28 international tours involving cultural diplomacy and exchange with 12 countries including Latin America, Europe and Russia. Our education programs target NYC PreK-5 public school students and multicultural communities under-served in the dance arts. The organization currently serves over 1,500 students and 200 classroom teachers in 5 Title 1 public schools in the Lower East Side and Far Rockaway and over 13,000 individuals annually across all programs. We recently launched our MoveUP! Dance Academy & Festival at our Studio 517 in The Clemente Center.
We seek dance teaching artists experienced working in under-served multicultural PreK-5 NYC public schools. The position is an excellent opportunity for skilled teaching artists to train, plan, teach, assess and evaluate their work over the longer term. Teaching Artists in Dance & Creativity will report to the Education Director with support from our administrative staff.
· Participate in Mark DeGarmo Dance’s Professional Learning Program.
· Design and organize age-appropriate skills-based and interdisciplinary programs of study (10-48 lessons) grounded in
· Write projected and actual lesson plans, meeting notes and evaluations.
· Facilitate collaborative team teaching with classroom teachers.
· Create a safe and inclusive learning environment.
· Support Mark DeGarmo Dance's vision, mission, core values and programs.
· Successfully teaching high-risk PreK-5 students in NYC public schools.
· Teaching age-appropriate creative movement, dance skills, and interdisciplinary inquiry projects during and after school.
· Integrating learning standards and arts blueprints.
· Highly motivated and motivating.
· Serving students, teachers and communities similar to ours.
· Using differentiated and culturally responsive instruction.
· Continually improving practice.
· Supporting an organizational vision, mission, core values and programs similar to ours.
· Dance education grounded in professional artistry.
· Choreography, improvisation, pedagogy, world dance forms and performance.
· International and intercultural exchange and communication.
· Higher education degree.
· Certifications of relevant learning.
· Professional experience equivalent to credentialing.
· Punctual; attention to detail and deadlines.
· Empathic with strong classroom management.
· Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills.
· Creative problem solving and professional responsiveness-in-action.
· Two to five years in dance education with at least one year teaching in similar communities.
· Master’s degree or equivalent preferred.
· Experience with NYC dance, dance education and youth services organizations desired but not required.
· Bilingual with native fluency a plus.
This is a 1- to 3-day per week artistic staff (W-2) position with payroll benefits to begin immediately. Compensation is competitive with NYC arts education organizations. Benefits include: paid professional development, paid sick leave, paid disability payroll deduction, and travel reimbursement. This is a growth position with the potential to advance within the organization.
Qualified candidates should email cover letter with availability through August 2016, résumé, references, and sample syllabus with overview of 10 lessons minimum and 1-3 lessons in detail. Optional materials include: link of professional artistic & teaching work and schedule of teaching for an on-site observation.
Email materials to: email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
MARK DEGARMO DANCE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
All inquiries are kept confidential.