Artist in Residence
BAX asks artists to submit a Letter of Intent to be selected to submit a full proposal for the Artist in Residence program.The Letter of Intent can only be submitted online no later than Wednesday March 1, 2017 at 5:00pm. All applicants will be notified by Friday March 10, 2017.
Applicants selected to submit a full proposal will be asked to respond to additional questions and provide work samples. All materials will be due by Friday March 31, 2017 at 5:00pm. Finalists will be notified by Friday April 21, 2017. In person interviews will take place the weekend of April 22-23. Final notifications will be made on or before Monday, May 1, 2017.
Selected artists will have the opportunity to establish BAX as an artistic home to develop work for a one year period (with a possible extension of another full year). This home will also include:
- Building a dynamic relationship with both the Executive Director/Artistic Director and other key staff members that includes discussing work/livelihood issues, goal setting, and accessing resources, to name a few.
- Being a participatory member of a peer group
- Technical support for presenting and long-range planning for your projects at BAX and beyond.
- The residency includes 300 hours of free rehearsal space in any of our four studios (note, there is limited availability of rehearsal space in July/August. AIRs receive priority booking of space, September-June.)
- REQUIRED: Open Studio showings in November 18-19, 2017 and February 3-4, 2018.
- REQUIRED: A full production of residency work in our AIR Festival between April - June 2018 (usually 2 evenings)
- An opportunity to apply for a second year of residency
- An opportunity to curate in Year Two.
- Stipend of $3000
- Please note that due to audience development considerations we request that the work you develop not be presented elsewhere in the NYC area for two months before or after your BAX performances. Exceptions to this can only be made in consultation with the Executive Director. Artist cannot apply if they currently have (or will have concurrently) other residencies in NYC. Work developed may not have a commitment to premiere in another venue during the residency period.
Artists applying for the 2017 Artist in Residence program are ineligible to apply for the 2017 BAX Space Grant Program.
Space Grant Program
The Space Grant Program is designed to give artists from all 5 NYC boroughs based dance, theater and performance artists the opportunity to create new work in a setting that is conducive to working deeply and exploring new territory.
BAX offers two different types of Space Grants. Grant #1 (Summer) is a work period, Grant #2 (Fall) includes a performance component. Both Space Grants include 100 hours of free rehearsal space. Summer space grantees will participate in a show & tell on Tuesday, August 8 from 7-9 p.m. showing 5-10 minutes of work developed and participating in a conversation with other space grantees, Executive Director Marya Warshaw and BAX staff. Fall Space Grantees will have an interim showing Saturday, November 4 from 2-4 p.m.
Find out more here