Launched in 2009, newMoves is designed to feature both rising talent and established artists alike, and plays a vital role in Pittsburgh’s dance scene by fostering new works, new connections, and by encouraging artists to take creative risks and push boundaries.
The newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival provides valuable exposure for choreographers in the region, and offers them the opportunity to share their work among a rich peer network. Past festival artists have included Sidra Bell (NYC), Kyle Abraham (NYC), Marjani Forté (NYC), Staycee Pearl (PGH), slowdanger (PGH) and many more.
The festival takes place at two venues: the 350-seat proscenium Kelly Strayhorn Theater and the 70-seat Alloy Studio. It features a flexible schedule to accommodate shared programs of short works and occasionally some larger projects.
KST provides development support through rehearsal space, technical assistance, access to the theater with its sound and lighting inventory, and an honorarium.
There is no cost to apply. Questions can be directed to Senior Producer Duane Binion at email@example.com.
Projects are selected through a proposal process, with an emphasis on new projects in development and/or early career artists. The most competitive proposals will be for original works that have not yet had been presented in Pittsburgh. The applications and work samples will be evaluated based on following:
- Vitality of the proposed project and its ideas;
- Quality and integrity of the work of the artist, ensemble and collaborators;
- Appropriateness of the project to a festival format and KST venues;
- Artist’s and/or team’s ability to successfully realize the proposed project.
Application Deadline - December 1, 2017
Notification - February 2018
10th annual newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival May 10 – 19, 2018
HOW TO APPLY
Use our simple online application or Please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with PDF attachments of the following:
- Contact information, including full name, mailing address, telephone number and email
- Artist statement and Bio and/or CV
- One-page proposal outlining and describing the piece you would like to showcase, including a development timeline, anticipated length of the completed work, materials list, number of dancers, etc.
- Links to no more than three five-minute work samples of original work
- Work sample description sheet, including viewing cue times, project creation date, collaborators, and additional information relevant to your proposed work;
- OPTIONAL: Up to three pages of supplementary materials, including design sketches, press, etc.
Applications for the 10th annual newMoves Contemporary Dance Festival must be submitted by Friday, December 1, 2017 at 6pm.
Applications will be reviewed by KST programming staff and advisors. Notification of selection will be emailed by February 2018. Additional work or information may be requested for review.
If you have any questions about this program or any aspect of the proposal process, please contact: Duane Binion, Senior Producer | email@example.com
Find out more here