This festival is designed to give creators of dance, theater and performance works, who have no more than three years of experience showing their work in New York City, an opportunity to show work and to facilitate networking opportunities that pave the way for fruitful artistic careers.
Originally the brain-child of Shannon Hummel (BAX Artist in Residence 2005-07, Artist Advisor 2007-08), the festival is currently curated by former BAX Artists In Residence Jillian Peña (2011-13) and Fernando Maneca (2004-06).
Application must be submitted electronically no later than Monday October 3, 2016 at 11:59 PM.
- Applicants MUST BE New York based and have produced work in New York for
3 years or less
- The application requires a 5 minute work sample uploaded to Vimeo or YouTube. We require that the sample be of the work you are submitting. While work sample is five minutes in length, the work performed may be up to 12 minutes.
- Please note that the most successful applications include a work sample that is simple, clear & unedited. Rehearsal footage is preferable to footage shot from a long distance where the work and intent is less clear. Include title, year created, venue produced/presented in, and any funding credits.
- There will be a MANDATORY ROUNDTABLE on Monday, November 28, 2016
from 7-9 p.m.
- Performances are Friday-Saturday, February 10-11, 2017.
- Work will be selected for only ONE performance.
- Notification will be on or before October 31, 2016.
- Artists will receive a stipend and free rehearsal space.
To view the application, visit artistservices.bax.org/upstart-festival-application.