USA’s 2016 Fellows were selected from over 500 artists nominated by their peers, and chosen by panels of experts in each discipline. The Fellowships allow artists to use the unrestricted funds for whatever they need most, and so to take risks and push their careers forward. Among past awardees are film director Barry Jenkins, composer David Lang, novelist Annie Proulx, playwright David Henry Hwang, choreographer Bill T. Jones, and visual artist Kara Walker.
"By supporting American artists, USA is supporting creativity, free expression, and a strong diverse culture. Our Fellows cross all ages, ethnicities, and stages in their careers,” said United States Artists Interim President & CEO Sunny Fischer. “Each has a unique artistic voice that expands the creative environment of the United States. It is an honor to support these artists, contribute to their financial security, and to facilitate future works. We are encouraging the best of what American artists can achieve.”
The 2016 USA Fellows will be celebrated in Chicago at USA’s annual Artist Assembly March 27-29, 2017. The Assembly includes performances, artist presentations and opportunities for artists to give back by partnering with local not-for-profit organizations, community arts organizations, and schools that serve young art students.
USA'S 2016 DANCE FELLOWS ARE:
- Michelle Dorrance, USA Doris Duke Fellow (Brooklyn, NY)
- Faye Driscoll, USA Doris Duke Fellow (Brooklyn, NY)
- Donna Uchizono, USA Doris Duke Fellow (New York, NY)
- Rosie Herrera, USA Sarah Arison Fellow (Miami, FL)
- Steve Paxton, USA Barr Fellow (East Charleston, VT)
- Yvonne Rainer, USA Doris Duke Fellow (New York, NY)
- Raphael Xavier, USA Knight Fellow (Philadelphia, PA)